9. ledna 2009 v 18:44 | Petr, OK1RP
Monk Apollo was today for a second day attempting the SR from Mt Athos. Two State Side fellows made it in his log plus several EUs.
He promissed to try to be there for one more day, tomorrow 10th of January around 05:30z at 1843 +/- for those who need.
Although he uses a low dipole barefoot he hears quiet well being in an area free of noise.
Original published on Topband mail reflector by SV3RF-Agelos.
It is unique chance to catch Mt.Athos on Topband so be ready in time on the band.
QSL direct only to :
63087 Dafni - Mount Athos
The twenty monasteries in hierarchical
order are as follows:
|A' Holy Monastery of MEGISTI LAVRA||B' Holy Monastery of VATOPEDION|
|C' Holy Monastery of IVIRON||D' Holy Monastery of HILANDARION|
|E' Holy Monastery of DIONYSOS||F' Holy Monastery of KOUTLOUMOUSION|
|G' Holy Monastery of PANTOKRATOR||I' Holy Monastery of XIROPOTAMOS|
|J' Holy Monastery of ZOGRAFOS||K' Holy Monastery of DOCHIARIOS|
|L' Holy Monastery of KARAKALOS||M' Holy Monastery of FILOTHEOS|
|N' Holy Monastery of SIMON PETRAS||O' Holy Monastery of SAINT (AGIOS) PAVLOS|
|P' Holy Monastery of STAYRONIKITAS||Q' Holy Monastery of XENOPHON|
|R' Holy Monastery of GREGORIOS||S' Holy Monastery of ESFIGMENOS|
|T' Holy Monastery of PANTELEIMON||Y' Holy Monastery of KOSTAMONITIS|
- Mount Athos is situated in the entire third, eastern and most beautiful peninsula of Halkidiki, called the peninsula of Athos. It is the only place in Greece that is completely dedicated to prayer and worship of God.
- For this reason, it is called the Holy Mount.
- The Holy Mount is about 50 Km in length, 8 to 12 Km in width and it covers an area of about 350 square kilometres.
- The borders of the monasterial city are defined on the ground by an imaginary line that starts from the location "FRAGOKASTRO" in the West coast and reaches the cape "ARAPIS" in the opposite end.
- The natural beauty of the peninsula is extraordinary. The highest point of Mount Athos is like a huge cone, reaching 2033 metres in height. It's a naked, treeless crest that seems to lance the sky and its slopes are fully covered by ancient evergreens. All these help to create an area of incomparable natural beauty.
- The Holy Mount is a self- governed part of the Greek state, subject to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in its political aspect and to the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinopole as regards its religious aspect.
- It has been divided into twenty self- governed territories. Each territory consists of a cardinal monastery and some other monastic establishments that surround it (cloisters, cells, cottages, seats, hermitages).
- All the monasteries are communes (of a convent nature) which means that there is common liturgy, prayer, housing, nourishing and work among the monks. The Superior of the monastery, being elected by the monks for life, is responsible for the affairs of the monastery. The Superiors of the monasteries are members of the Holy Assembly and exercise legislative authority.
- Moreover, every year the monastery elects its representative to the Holy Community which exercises administrative authority, while the Holy Supervision exercises executive authority and consists of 4 members, elected by the 5 hierarchically preceding monasteries.
73 - Petr, OK1RP